The state of Qatar is to offer permanent residency to a limited number of expats each year, it was announced today.
H. H. Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani, Emir of the State of Qatar, issued Law No. 10 of 2018 on Permanent Residence in the State of Qatar that included:
- Forming of a permanent committee in the interior to deal with applications for permanent residence permits.
- Permission for permanent residence will not be issued for more than 100 persons per year.
- With the approval of His Highness and upon the proposal of the Minister of the Interior, the number stipulated for each year may be increased.
- The holder of the permanent residence card may leave the country and return to it without obtaining permission or approval to do so.
- The cardholder may invest in the activities of the sectors of the national economy determined by the Council of Ministers without a Qatari partner.
- Permanent residence holder may own real estate for housing and investment in areas according to the terms and conditions.
- The cardholder may obtain medical treatment and education in government institutions within the State.
- The spouse of the holder of permanent residence and his children up to the age of 18 shall enjoy the same privileges in residence, health and education.
- The application fee for permanent residency, provision of its card and determination of its tenure shall be issued by the Minister of Interior.