Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif on Saturday termed the Indian army chief’s statement as tantamount to an invitation for a nuclear war.
Indian Army Chief Gen Bipin Rawat had recently said that the force was ready to call Pakistan’s ‘nuclear bluff’ and cross the border to carry out any operation if asked by the government.
The foreign minister said the Indian army chief’s statement was very irresponsible and not befitting his office.
He added: “If that is what they desire, they are welcome to test our resolve. The general’s doubt would swiftly be removed, inshallah.”
“Very irresponsible statement by Indian Army Chief,not befitting his office. Amounts to invitation for nuclear encounter.If that is what they desire,they are welcome to test our resolve.The general's doubt would swiftly be removed, inshallah.”— Khawaja M. Asif (@KhawajaMAsif) January 13, 2018
Earlier in the day, Director General of Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor had also responded to the Indian army chief’s ‘nuclear bluff’ assertion by warning that India will be given a befitting response if they engage in any misadventure.
He added that statements like this are unbecoming from a person of a responsible stature.
The Pakistani military spokesman said, “We believe COAS is a very responsible appointment and a four-star is a rank with age-long experience and maturity”.