With a capacity of over five million books, the Allama Iqbal Open University (AIOU) has one of the biggest book warehouses in Asia.
According to the University’s Press and Publication department, a large number of books are available in the warehouse at any given time to meet the needs of its 1.3 million students.
The printing network is the one of the largest in the country, where on an average 3.5 million books are printed each semester. The varsity employs the latest printing, cutting and folding machines to handle the immense load.
While most of the machinery has been imported.
Around 30 per cent of the work is conducted through an in-house printing process, while the remaining 70 per cent is out-sourced. There are about 40 registered printing houses in the country which deal with this massive task.
However, the university handles sensitive work such as printing of academic degrees and exam answer books.